Thursday, February 3, 2011

Winter Wonderland

The snow drifts are high and the sun is shining - a perfect day for skiing. Although our family won't be hitting the slopes for a month or so, Jim and his friends will heading to Sugarloaf this weekend. Let's hope the skiing conditions remain perfect for them...
In the meantime, I look forward to starting my new book club book tonight Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian. Last night I finished Jumpstart the World by CatherinA very strange young adult that addresses a number of issues, the most prominent of which is transgenders.

Elle is a fifteen year old girl who is living on her own in an apartment because her Mom's new boyfriend doesn't care for her. Elle meets Frank (formerly Frannie) and immediately develops a crush on him. The story spans a few months in which a lot happens. Whenever I read a book, I am always thinking of which of our customers would enjoy it. This book has stumped me. I cannot pinpoint exactly who would like this - perhaps a very mature high school student who likes off beat stories.

We are off to Eliza's first-ever basketball game and then to Daniel's hockey game. I guess supper will be pb & j on pita in the van on the way to the rink. As my friend's mother once told her, every meal does not have to be an occasion!!

Happy Reading!
Mary Ann

No comments: