Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Giver by Lois Lowry


Fifteen years ago, I worked part-time at Woozles in Halifax as a bookseller. Back then I had all kinds of time to read and subsequently recommend great books to our loyal customers. It was during this time that I discovered what would become one of my all-time favourite young adult novels…The Giver. To my co-workers, it became a bit of running joke how I wanted to share this book with everyone. And to this day, I still love it! Nothing I have read in this genre even comes close to the language Lowry uses and her magnificent style of writing.

So now fifteen years later, I am reading The Giver again only this time as shared reading with our sons. Jonas is a twelve-year old boy who lives in a dystopian world controlled by the Committee of Elders. At the important age of twelve, each child is given their Assignment, which they will undertake until their Ceremony of Release. Rather than the typical assignment, Jonas has been ‘selected’ to become the Receiver of Memory, the most honored position in the Community. It turns out Jonas has a unique ability to ‘see beyond’. What this means exactly, Jonas will only discover as he undergoes stringent training with the Giver. As the Giver begins to transfer memories to Jonas, he gains knowledge about the so-called perfect world around him. In his world, there is no war, no fear, no colour and no pain yet there are also no choices! Jonas quickly seeks to understand the place he has heard rumblings about – a place called Elsewhere. Will Jonas ever experience this secret world?

This science fiction tale is one that readers of all ages will enjoy (including adults who read with their tweens). It is adventurous, funny and most importantly thought provoking!

No comments: